Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Value of Consistency


Many of you have heard me reference my boyfriend Andrew many times on here. Recently I reached out to his middle brother Brian, asking if he would be interested in writing a guest post over the holidays. Brian is 

1. Hilarious
2. Awesome 

and has one of the more serving-oriented jobs that I know of. In the spirit of Christmas, I present to you a well-word, simple post on the concept of consistency, and giving back.

The 3 brothers, in age order.
Kait asked me to do a “guest blog post” for her blog this season for which I immediately had two reactions. The first was that Kait must have mixed me up with another friend and the second was that I should go online and copy someone else’s blog for some good content so she doesn’t laugh at me.

However, if you’re reading this, apparently Kait did have the right person and if you can find anyone else on the internet who wrote this exact blog please let me know because they obviously copied me and I will not hesitate to seek litigation.

For the past four years I have worked with the homeless at a Rescue Mission in the Pacific Northwest. I have learned a lot over the years and felt this would be a good topic to write on. Specifically, one of the most basic, profound things I have learned working with the poor has to do with consistency.

Every day at our Rescue Mission facilities we have over 100 kids and over 300 men/women staying with us and utilizing our services. We also get thousands of volunteers that want to support what we do from providing meals, tutoring in GED, creating memories for families, and working with the youth.

Throughout all this, I have met some truly amazing people in the community who give above and beyond their resources for others in need and have been a huge factor in facilitating life transformation. Contrarily, I have come across others, volunteering or wanting to get involved, who are detrimental to life transformation. The difference, I believe, between these two different groups is consistency.

Sometimes, and especially with the homeless or other vulnerable populations, not being consistent with good intentions can be very detrimental. You end up being just another person in someone’s life that has walked out on them. You end up being another person whom they will never see again. You must be careful to not use others in need as a way to fill some need in yourself.

With consistency, relationships can form which are the foundation for life transformation. Through consistency you can gain trust. Through consistency you can gain clarity and begin to see others for who they really are and how they truly were created. Through consistency I think you will learn a lot about other people as well as yourself. Being consistent is one way I view love.

There are various ways to give back from supporting an organization financially, being on a board, or simply volunteering your time. Whatever you do, thank you for what you are doing, and remember to do your best to be consistent with what you do.

Cheers to a very Merry Christmas!

If you're interested in giving to Brian's Rescue Mission in a quick and simple way, simply... 

Text GIVEBACK to 85944 & reply YES to confirm your gift of $10.
The average cost to serve one meal is $2.42, by generously donating as little as $5, you can provide dinners for community members in need.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!