Thursday, August 8, 2013

that kind of run

It’s just been one of those weeks.

The 21 Day Sugar Detox probably isn’t really helping morale at this point, but I keep telling myself that I’ll feel better by the weekend.

Back to that later. Let’s talk about the positives so far this week:

My sister and mom sent me an awesome Under Armour care package full of fun accessories. I’m obsessed with the socks….

I’m pretty sure I just run better in brightly colored socks. Is anyone else with me?

My bike, Beth, came home on Tuesday after her weekend get-away at Joe’s Bike Shop. She got all aligned and greased up and is ready to tear up 8 miles with me this Sunday. It should be fun; I’m both nervous and excited since triathlons are so new and unknown to me.

I woke up yesterday and Wednesday was like ‘hey I’m going to beat the crap out of you and there isn’t much you can do about it.’

Well I did the one thing that I know always helps. I ran.

I drove straight to a nearby straight park after work, laced up my trusty Brooks, and darted onto the first trail that I saw.

It was a reckless kind of run. Do you ever have those? I could have given two licks about my pace, where I was going, if I knew how to get back. The trails were muddy due to recent rain – it even started raining while I was out there – and I loved it. Mother Earth splattered up my calves, and her humidity had me dripping by mile two. It was lovely.

I ended up on a trail I had never been on, in the middle of a prairie-like field overgrown with thorns and long grass. The brush scratched my shins as I tore through it, and I welcomed the slight stinging. White-tailed deer pranced away almost sooner than I could spot them, unwelcoming and unsure of my presence.

The trail opened up and spit me out next to the river, and the dirt quickly turned to sand underneath my feet. I stayed course for a while, before admitting myself that it was time to turn around. The path I chose back to my car was mainly uphill, and took my through several small streams. The runner in me told me to slow down and step over the water using the rocks, the child in my screamed to run straight through them. The child won, and the cool water splashed up to my knees. Needless to say, my shoes are still a little damp today.

I got back to my car tired and wet and panting yet feeling very much relieved. It had just been one of those days, but it had also been one of those runs. I was more tired than usual, perhaps to my body still adjusting to the lack of processed sugar.  But I still hold true to the idea that this cleanse will be worth it in the end.

That’s all I have for today. I would apologize for the weird descriptive rant that I just went on about a 6 mile run… but I won’t, because I liked it.

Physical therapy & Yoga on the docket for tonight. Hopefully an early bedtime for this girl, as the alarm was not kind to me this morning.


1 comment:

  1. Why are colorful socks the greatest thing ever ?!


Leave me some love!