Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

A different kind of 13.1

I woke up this morning and felt like I had been assaulted with a baseball bat, specifically in my shoulder area.

Why? From the 13.1 WOD (workout of the day) that my friend Greg dragged me to yesterday.

Right now, if you are a crossfitter you already know, it's currently the CrossFit Open.


The first Open workout, the 13.1, was the following:

17 minutes, AMRAP (as many reps as possible)

40 burpees
30 snatch 75/45/15 lbs
30 burpees
30 snatch 135/75/35 lbs
20 burpees
30 snatch 165/100/45 lbs
10 burpees
Max rep snatch 210/120 lbs

The first weight listed for snatch is what was prescribed for men, second women, third... me. Because I'm weak and not too well-versed when it comes to olympic-style lifts. And because I'm not participating in the Open, I just wanted a good workout.

And that I got.
photo credits to Lance Steagall
My final score? 151 reps, ending with 1 snatch at 45 lbs. I was tired. My lungs were burning. I kind of wanted to throw up. I also really loved it.

photo credits to Lance Steagall
Greg killed it with 156 total reps.

photo credits to me.
Am I joining a crossfit gym? Not right now. Mainly because I can’t afford it, and I still will take long periods of cardio any day over a WOD. Did yesterday open my eyes to why people LOVE crossfit?

photo credits to Lance Steagall
Yes, it totally did. I loved the atmosphere, the workout was quick and super efficient. I’m not sure if joining a crossfit box/gym is in my future, but I do know that this style of workout is one that I really, REALLY need to start implementing more often.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to getting stronger in my running game. Not to mention, beach season is right around the corner.

That's right folks, next Wednesday, March 20th is officially the first day of spring. I don't know about you, but that's super encouraging to me! Also a little intimidating, because my beach body is still very much under construction.


That's why, with running still on the DL, I'm in the process of throwing together a new 'spring workout plan', sans running. Obviously as the foot heals, the mileage will SLOWLY start increasing, but until then, I see a lot more swimming, spinning, yoga-ing, and lifting/cross fitting in my future.

And I'm kind of excited about it.

I head back to the Land of Mary early tomorrow morning, so the rest of today will most likely involve something like this.



Gosh I'll miss her. And all of my IL peeps, of course.

Enjoy the rest of your Monday - set yourself up for success for the week and do something awesome.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!