Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Onward

First order of business:

A huge congrats to all runners this past weekend - of all distances. There aren't many things more gratifying than finishing a race that you've put a lot of sweat and time into training for. I commend you all. :)

Next order of business:

As of yesterday, The New York Marathon is starting to look more improbable than probable for me to compete in.
maybe?
Long story short, my knee wasn't happy with going much further than two miles yesterday. I made an appointment with an orthopedic sports doctor in Baltimore for tomorrow, and plan to start intensive physical therapy with a running specialized PT ASAP.

That being said, I will note (with slight desperation) that New York isn’t completely out of the picture… yet. But unless, 1 week out, I can feel confident running 26.2 miles and know that I can do it pain free, it just won’t happen.

Am I upset that I’m currently injured? You bet. Was I due for an injury? Absolutely.



Almost all runners get hurt at some point in their careers, I get that. This is my first. And so as upset as I was yesterday (and still am), after talking to several other runners I already know one thing is for certain; It’s all about pushing onward.

Forward motion.

Goals won’t change, just the time frames will.

Do I want to sit around and have a pity party for myself? You bet I do. Believe me, I allowed myself a good hour or so yesterday to unleash a howling fit of rage in my bedroom, slamming doors and all. Straight up 6 year old temper tantrum.

But what’s the point in letting that continue? It's just wasting time. Time that I need to get better… to get even healthier than where I started. Even stronger… an area I know I lacked even before these nagging injuries came around.

pinterest

 Shit happens. And I’m a strong believer that it absolutely, 100% happens for a reason. And whether I run again this fall… even this year…. Or I don’t… well, that’s what was in the cards. And I NEED to trust that.

I read a very fitting blog post recently from a girl who is currently training for her first Ironman. Aside from being extremely impressed on a daily basis by her work ethic, I was hard core encouraged by her words. You can read the post in its entirety here, but I would say it was these words that really hit me hard:

It’s not what happens to you, it’s how you handle it.

Bingo.

So, what’s going to happen when one of my deepest passions gets cut out of my life for a (hopefully short) time?

Odds are, I’ll see a lot more of this:

Elliptical.

Probably this too:



Stick with me, let’s find out. Because let’s be honest.

Everyone loves a comeback story.



Cheers to that.

3 comments:

  1. I hear legos are great for rehab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you are so fortunate to have avoided injury thus far, it still stinks when you have to deal with it and your plans get curtailed. I'll be praying for quick healing and will look forward to hearing about all you learn along the way. <3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your knee feels better soon. Injuries are so frustrating, but you're right, they aren't the end of the world...or the end of anything!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!